I had plenty to talk about today. Then I ate dinner, and it left me...
So, instead of whatever I was going to say, I am going to pass on to you this gem of a recipe from Martha Stuart Recipes, veganized by moi. (As always, gluten free friendly)
Quinoa Pie with Butternut Squash
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, havled crosswise, and seeded
- 18 fresh sage leaves, plus 1 teaspoon finely chopped sage
- 1/2 onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup quinoa (I used TJ's red quinoa...so pretty against the orange squash!)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Heat remaining t oil in md saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until onions are translucent. Add quinoa and stock; bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat. Simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 15 mins. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 2 minutes.
Stir together quinoa, diced squash, chopped sage, salt, and pepper.
Coat a 9-in glass pie pan with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange 6 sage leaves facedown in plate; top with squash rings. Press quinoa mixture on top.
Bake 20 mins. Let cool 5 mins, then invert onto serving platter. Serve wedges warm or at room temperature.
It comes out almost like a savory, upside down cake! Very easy, but super impressive looking.
Most importantly? Delicious.
Way to go, Martha
Peace, Love, and Veggies,