Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Gluten Free Grains, and the Day I Invented a New Word (re: FREEBIE)

Today some little fairy dropped an article from this month's Today's Dietitian into my work mailbox.

I'm the only gluten freebie (new word) out of our internship class, so our director does a nice job of taking care of me :) She's wonderful!

Anyway, I thought the article did a great job of focusing not only on what gluten free people can eat, but how they should be eating to maximize nutrition. Predictably...I want to share!

Gluten freebies are either illergic to or cannot tolerate gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye products. Eating a gluten free diet is harder than one might anticipate, since gluten can be hidden in so many foods: broths, malts, bases, seasonings, beer, food thickeners, dressings, etc).

You Freebies know what I'm talking about. Quite the pain.

To our elate, many new "gluten free" products have arrived on the market. Buying these clearly marked "gluten free" foods can seem like a breath of fresh air compared to scrutinizing food labels.

However, this article did a great job of emphasizing that
many Freebies are low in carbs and important minerals usually fortified into the gluten-containing products.

Don't panic, Freebies. We can still be just as healthy...maybe healthier. It just requires a lil' time and a whole lotta love. (Okay...mostly just a lil' time. But whole lotta love never hurt anybody)

Even though special, white-breadish gluten free products make great special-occasion snacks, we need to remember to focus on our unprocessed, whole food choices for staple foods. These can include grains such as corn, quinoa (see recipe from 2 days ago), millet, amaranth, teff, or buckwheat.

Confession: Honestly, I don't know what half of those grains off that list are. Corn and quinoa are about the extent of my cooking comfort.

So, here's to expanding my gluten free grain horizons. It should be easy enough, as cooking instructions are usually printed right on the packages. I will if you will.

Freebie Power.

Peace, Love, and Veggies,
Bee Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment