Friday, October 8, 2010

Eat Yer Breakfast!

Today’s post was written from my desk at work. The time is 6:20 am.

Yep. 6:20 am.

Which is fitting, because I wanted to talk about
my favorite meal of the day…

Breakfast!

Everybody has heard about the studies proving we should not skip the first meal of the day. I know, you know, your mom knows, my grandma knows…don’t worry. I’m not going to quote you another one of these studies.
Although there are plenty to go around…

Instead, I’m going to tackle the subject of why breakfast is a great time to eat, and what foods are best in the morning.

Research from the University of Kansas and Purdue University has strongly supported theories that “the kinds of foods eaten at breakfast can influence feelings of fullness and satiety, and thus help influence calorie intake throughout the day.” (Leidy HJ,
Nutrition Close Up, Spring 2009).

This is the theory that says a donut for breakfast may be a lesser option compared to, say, toast with peanut butter. Also known as
“The Party Pooper Theory.”

The same study indicated above focused on the link between protein and satiety.
It found that eating a high-protein meal kept participants more full and reduced total calorie intake. However, this only held true for breakfast. Participants eating normal-protein diets the rest of the day (0.8 g protein/kg body weight) felt just as full as those eating high-protein all day long.

I know what you're thinking, and I hear ya'.
I hate studies. Does this mean anything?

Yep!
It means two things:

Eat yer breakfast!

Put some protein in it! (on it?)

Breakfast protein items might include:
Milk/soymilk
Protein powder/Shake
Peanut butter/ Almond Butter
Eggs (omelet, scrambled, frog-bellied…)
Low Fat Cheese
Yogurt
Turkey Sausage
Handful O’Nuts

Rightyo…time to go get mine!

Peace, Love, and Veggies,
Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment