Sunday, September 26, 2010

Recipe: Gluten Free Banana Bread

I developed a gluten allergy about a year ago, and have been gluten free ever since. At first, the diet was easy for me. Rice for every meal! Rice 'oatmeal' with almond milk and banana for breakfast! Salad with rice for lunch, and rice stir-fry for dinner! Rice, Rice, Rice!

Then, the inevitable happened. I got sick of rice. As in, I never wanted to see another grain of that tasteless, I-Can-Pair-With-Anything stuff again. I have no idea how the Asian cultures do it, but this kind of eating was just not feeding my creative monster. And it started getting
cranky.

Cranky Bee on top of Sassy Bee is a scary combination.

Alas, a new, more adventurous chef was born! I gave in and bought all those fancy flours, the xanthan gum, the arrowroot...the whole nine yards.

I have not looked back since.

On request, here's my favorite recipe for
Gluten Free Banana Bread from Taste of Home. It turns out delish- perfect combination of crusty top and moist, bready insides!

Ingredients:
2 c gluten-free all-purpose baking flour (I used Bob's)
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 t salt
4 eggs
2 c mashed, ripe bananas (4-5 bananas)
1 c sugar
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
1/3 c canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c chopped walnuts (optional. also optional to accidentally sub for chocolate chips)

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, bananas, sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Transfer to two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.

Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).

Perfect for keeping that Creative Monster happy :)

**Note: Avoiding gluten is only beneficial to those with Celiacs Disease or a gluten allergy or intolerance. In the general population, a gluten-free diet has not been proven to provide any health benefits over a diet rich in whole grains.

Peace, Love, and Veggies,
Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment